question

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Mar 16 14:49:11 EST 2002

It sounds like your network device is being found.  Try ifconfig right
now and see what you get.  Undoubtedly, you will probably get some
errors since you haven't configured the I/P addresses and such.  From
here on, you should probably do some reading of such HOWTO documents
such as ethernet-howto, net3-howto, and I think there may be something
for dhcp.  I haven't personally had to deal with dhcp so would have to
read up on that one myself if/when I have to do it.

I don't mean to be evasive here but there is so much info it bares
reading and studying to get the most out of it.  I even found that
reading some of those howto's over again several times, I get more out
of them.

Like Greg said, netconfig works well for a single network interface if
on a slackware system.  Not sure what distro you are using however.