Computer Science

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Fri Mar 15 14:52:48 EST 2002

Hi Amanda,
I agree with you--all but one comment.  C at it was originally conceived
was not very efficient.  However, with modern optimization techniques it
is sometimes possible to have a C program that is more efficient then
typical hand written assembly code.  The problem with this type of
optimization is that it takes a very long time to compile even on a fast
machine.  And no, I have never been able to write a "hello world
program" in C under DOS that can compete with my assembly version.
hello.c compiled is still more than 4000 bytes (I've gotten less under
Linux) and hello.asm produced a hello.com of 36 bytes.  So I guess what
I'm saying is that I only partially disagree.

      Take Care,
     Jim