ext2 to ext3 conversion

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Fri Mar 15 11:18:17 EST 2002

It's pretty easy to up from ext2 to ext3.  First off you have to make
sure your kernel has ext3 compiled in.  That will be under the file
system section.  You don't actually have to have it however by having
the support from the kernel you get journaling which is real nice.  If
that is not the case do that first, reboot and then
read this cut from the speakup archives in December.
migrating to ext3, was Re: rebuilding kernel
Adam Myrow Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:44:48 -0600 (CST)

Assuming your EXT2 partition is on /dev/hda2, it's easy to convert.
Just
type (as root, of course) "tune2fs -j /dev/hda2."  You need to have a
reasonably recent version of tune2fs to do this, but Slackware 8 has one
that is recent enough.  I personally haven't noticed any great
difference
with EXT3 over EXT2, but I seldom have a serious crash which is where
EXT3
is supposed to really shine.

William Hubbs said the following on Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:13:44AM -0600:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running debian, and I would like to convert my file systems
> to ext3.
>
> Can someone point me to a document that explains how to do this or
> explain how it is done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> William

If you are good, you will be assigned all the work.  If you are real
good, you will get out of it.
Raul A. Gallegos - http://www.asmodean.net