FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Ann Parsons akp at eznet.net
Fri Mar 15 06:57:32 EST 2002

Hi all,

Gena, a couple of misconceptions here.  First, one doesn't have to buy
the book in order to scan it.  One can request the book from a regular
library and scan it.  As for the cost of K1000 or Ruby, yes, these do
cost, and it is a shame that such things have to cost as much as they
do.

There are scholarships available through various organizations,
apparently.    I think what they are trying to do is to get Lions or
something similar to donate the money so that folks who can not afford
the fee will be able to do so.    I think they are also looking for
organizations who want to scan books.

I know it looks like things are sort of skewed, and I know they need
to do more about getting access via Lynx and that, but the idea is
sound.

I'm not sure what formats they require.  I do know that there are
strict rules about not submitting stuff that has been scanned for you,
like text books and all, or propriatary materials from a university.
They're working on all this.  It's only a couple of weeks old.
They'll work out the kinks.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons