support for software synths.

Shaun Oliver shauno at goanna.net.au
Thu Mar 14 22:01:41 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Mirabella, Mathew J wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Can anyone tell me if speakup is able to support software synthesisers which
> use the internal sound card yet?

The short answer to this is no.
the reason behind it is simply at the moment a metter of the fact that
speakup comes up talking very early in the boot process as it is kernel
level.
the reason that software synths ain't supported is for one, sound comes up
after all the filesystems are mounted and if you ever get a kernel panic
you'll never know about it.
also, there isn't a wide variety of good software synths available as open
source. there is a project that's called tuxtalk but it's nothing more
than a text to speech engine that u just play around with for your own
purposes at this stage.
as far as I know, kirk is looking at one day integrating it into speakup
but I could be wrong on this point.
however, if you want a list of synthesisers that are supported, go to
http://www.linux-speakup.org and look there.
that will have all the information you need.
hth

 > -- qShaun Oliver

Marriage is a three ring circus:
engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering.
                -- Roger Price

Email: shauno at goanna.net.au
Icq: 76958435