Computer Science

Igor Gueths igueths at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 14:43:24 EST 2002

Hi Thomas. I can agree with you on that one. Even though I am not in college yet and am still looking around, I'm looking to get into the same field. I'm encountering the same things. Here's an example. I was looking to apply to New England Tech next year out in Rhode Island. I talked to the admissions guy about what I knew and what I didn't know. I told him that I was interested in programming under Linux with C or C++. He gave me a list of courses and guess what, all winblows! Why don't colleges offer Linux stuff anymore? Its much less expensive for the machines, because Linux has much less stringent hardware requirements then Microshaft. You might be asking what I'm trying to say from all this? Well the answer is quite simple. If you learn programming with Linux yourself like I am doing with C, there aren't many people in this field. Therefore, there's the possibility that you'll get hired, because especially right now that companies are realizing that Linux is a better alternative, there is a higher demand for Linux users. Thus, you could get hired because you know Linux. I hope that this post doesn't offend anyone at all, I'm just trying to contribute to Thomas's argument by saying that I totally agree with what he is saying. Anyone please feel free to add to what I've said, or correct me if you want to.