FW: USA: Online book-sharing service for the blind borrows a page from Napster

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Mar 12 20:26:48 EST 2002

OK, here's the scoop. You probably do need to upgrade your lynx. It must
be pretty old, frankly, if it doesn't contain support for SSL connections
-- what's know as https:// etc. Lynx has supported SSL by default ever
since the Clinton Administration lifted export restrictions -- which was
back in 2000 or even 1999 as I recall.

The point, of course, is to protect the information you send across the
net against identity theft. Not that what you would send to BookShare is
as sensitive as what you might send to your bank, but it's still a good
idea to use secure communications. And, it is very accessible--you won't
even know the difference once you have it.

PS: If you want to get subscribed before getting your lynx upgraded, I'm
sure they would help out by phone. Drop them an e-nmail off the page. But,
I think you will need to encrypt in order to download.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG