sideways look! Was: USA: Online book-sharing service

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Tue Mar 12 19:21:07 EST 2002

Hi

Being in the UK I['m perhaps a little green.  But there are a few
questions I have on this issue which have been sort of raised but then
swept under the proverbial carpet.

Why is the service or at least, the message marked as "for the
blind"?  Surely, we as blind people are just sitting on our asses and
letting the world go by yet again?

Why isn't anyone asking: Is there money being made from this venture?
If so, who's getting it?  Will those who scan the books get payment for
their labour?

Its my understanding that blind people will scan books and provide them
to the community.  But we have to learn to respect our labour and value
it too, likewise the labours of other blind people.  Therefore, it is
not the sort of community to which I'd subscribe i.e. paying for
materials that my fellow blind people paid for in terms of their cash to
buy the book and then their time to scan it on expensive equipment.

Its an insult to liken it to the Napster community.

Gena