free programming language

Brian Borowski brianb at braille.uwo.ca
Tue Mar 12 06:57:37 EST 2002

I agree with Jim.  Many of the basic programmers I know, have never been
able to move on comfortably even to C, and have often therefore, remained
with basic, and all the bad ideas that it brings along, besides, most
implementations of that language aren't free, anyway, so why bother if
there are so many other good free implementations of better languages out
there.

You really need good documentation like a book, or some of the excellent
documentation that accompanies some of the free distributions of
programming languages.

You could start with java, if your into object oriented languages, and want
to structure your life that way, and get the book Exploring Java, from
O'rielly; java is available for Windows as well as all the better Os's.

You could just learn C, Cygnus for Win or the wonderful gnu stuff for
linux, and get a good book; check out empowermentzone.

You could get perl, there is ActiveState's perl for Win, and of course the
default stuff that comes with linux; and the book Learning Perl from
O'reilly, or again, empowermentzone has a few.

There's so much choice, but the real thing is, you've got to have some
commitment and initiative to see the thing through; this is really the
important part of the whole thing.

In my opinion, C is the ultimate, I like perl and java, (java when I need
to), but as someone else has said, the technique, not the language is
important.  The skills like algorithm design and its implementation are
what you really have to learn, then you use the language to express your
ideas in something the machine can understand and work with.

Brian Borowski