Questions about programs under Linux.

Yvonne Smith yvonne at thewatch.net
Mon Mar 11 16:15:52 EST 2002

Ann Parsons writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I dunnow why I'm in this argument.  Hmmmm, yes, maybe I do.  I think
 > it's because I like and use both Emacspeak and Speakup simultaneously
 > all day everyday.    Let me see if I can explain Yvonne's position,
 > and she can correct me if I'm wrong.
 >
 > If you start with Emacspeak, as I did, you are starting from the same
 > position as a noncomputer user or a user who's experience has been
 > limited.  Yes, the learning curve is steep, and you must learn Emacs
 > while learning Emacspeak.  this is no different from the Windows user
 > who wants to learn Windows, Window-eyes and MSWord at the same time.
 > The position is really the same.  The task here in the main is to
 > learn the editor, not to learn about the OS.  This is good if you want
 > to be proficient in an editor and you have need of one that will
 > accept add-on programs and use the same types of commands for all
 > these add-ons, much as does learning all the Windows stuff carry over
 > from appl to app.  Emacs is a fantastic editor, my personal opinion.
 > Once learned, it is powerful and versatile and its desktop is handy
 > and so on. For the new Linux user who has an immediate need for
 > programs rather than knowledge of the OS, Emacspeak is perhaps the
 > best route to go.  Is this what you mean, Yvonne?

If you can believe this, anne, I didn't mean anything really that
deep. The new user said what I interpreted as them wanting to spend most
of their computing time in emacs. I did, what I now realise was
incredibly stupid and just made an idle comment that if one was going to
spend most of ones time in emacs, it might be a good idea to *look* at
emacspeak rather than speakup. I intend to do what you're doing now when
I settle down a bit and it's easier to use my speech synthesiser and use
both. Since I'm using viavoice, I'm not going to run into any conflicts
between apps, since speakup can use the external synthe all by itself.

I'm really sorry. I honestly didn't mean to start all this. Sure as hell
I'll be a lot more careful before offering advice in the future.