Questions about programs under Linux.

Anna Schneider annas at drizzle.com
Fri Mar 8 17:55:33 EST 2002

All right, now that I have ordered my computer, and am in limbo until it
arrives, and have rested my brain for a few days, I have a bunch more
questions.

First, my understanding is that while Linux comes with some programs under
it, many other have to be downloaded off the web.  Is this correct?
Regardless of whether or not this is the case, I am curious about the
following:

1.  Does any virus protection exist for Linux and if so, what programs
would people recommend and how can I get them?

2.  I want to get the Emacs editor.  When I read some info on the
Emacspeak site, it sounded like there are a couple of different Emacs
packages available depending on what sorts of things I plan to do with
Emacs.  Do I have to go find the package I want and download it?  And
then, if I want to fill out my Emacs package even more, with the Dismal
Spreadsheet for example, do I have to go download it too?

3.  Are there ways to open Word and Excel programs in Linux?

4.  Will I have to be compliling things before I use them and does Linux
usually come with these complers or do I have to go find them too?

5.  What is the most recent version of Lynx?  Is it considered to be
equivalent to Internet Explorer 4.0 or better?   This matters quite a bit
actually.  If I need another web browser in addition to Lynx, do any exist
for Linux?

6.  And last I hope and this is just a point of clarification, when you
all talk about telnetting and ftyping and all that, you are doing from
your machines right?  Do you have to dial in first to do those things from
your machine or how does that work?

Okay, I think that's everything for now.  Have to go start reading How To
documentation this weekend.

Anna