help with a new Modem

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 5 21:29:59 EST 2002

Well, I've looked all over the web for information about this modem and I
still get that it should work in Linux with a simple setserial
command.  However, it just doesn't.  I am beginning to wonder if they've
made a modem designed to trick you into thinking it works in Linux?  I'm
just getting suspicious.  I even tried manually setting the base address to
03E8 in Windows hoping to force the modem to show up at com3.  It refused
to let me change the IRQ from 11.  Windows took the change just fine and
moved the modem to com3, but as soon as I booted Linux, it was back to fce8
again.  In fact, Windows had it set to 108.  IRQ 11 must be hard-coded or
something.  I really don't know what to think.  I paid around $40 for the
thing, so I expected it to work.  It also has DOS configuration tools, but
I haven't been able to figure them out since they are hard to use with
speech.  Maybe that's what I should try to do just to convince myself that
it can work outside of Windows.

I knew about the U.S. Robotic's modem, but was unable to find it
anywhere.  All they seem to list is ISDN modems.  This was the only one I
could find that wasn't ISA but still claimed to work in Linux without
special drivers.  I am going to ask on newsgroups and such if they've ever
run into this beast.  If I can't get it working eventually, I guess I'll
put back my old 33.6 modem and demand my money back!