images

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Mar 2 11:52:59 EST 2002

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Angelo Sonnesso wrote:

> Is there anything like imagecast that will run under Linux?

dd

It works like a charm, and I'd wager it's faster than Ghost, which I've
used extensively.

Here's an example. My Windows installations always live on /dev/hda3.
Since I have Windows mainly to evaluate various software apps as part of
my job, I'm forever installing things in Windows that trash my
installation. So, I'm constantly restoring from backup.

Here's how I create a backup image:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/home/janina/win98.img

And, if some ill-behaved Windows app makes a mess of my Windows
installation, I don't bother trying to clean things up with Microsoft
tools. Rather, I simply restore from my backup as follows:

dd if=/home/janina/win98.img of=/dev/hda3

And, about ten minutes later, I'm back in business.