speech in bios, was: Re: Updated Speakup how to

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Fri Jun 28 06:07:48 EDT 2002

The default dump location for print screen is the parallel port.
Even if this does work in bios; It would only read screen from top to bottom
and it would not tellyou any colour information at all.
The only viable way to get speech in bios is with a
pc-wiesel board $350US or to go get
an Alpha or a spark or wait for openbios to be available
for more chipsets. I hear it supports serial port config.
Normal bioses especially award are inaccessable to my knowledge.
You could write a program to read and write the cmos yourself provided you know
what system specific bits your system board uses it changes for
each board and chipset. This is why this has not been done
before; motherboard manifacturers customize the bios before flashing it
into the board.
there is mrbios; not sure if it supports serial and what boards it supports.

Regards, Kerry.