laptop keymaps for speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Jun 27 17:49:59 EDT 2002

yDedra:

Do you have two alt keys? There's a keymap that distinguishes
between them so that you can get different functions from the
right and left alt keys.

Also, does your portable have a ps2 connection port? Often, in
order to attach a qwerty keyboard, you can't just plug it into
this port, you must get a y connector to pass the keyboard
through. This is the way it works with all of the IBM Thinkpads
I've had, including this one I'm writing on now as the conference
I'm attending proceeds.

Yes, I'm on an ethernet connection in a hotel during a meeting
with my Thinkpad.

By the way, we lost something when our screen review went to
numlock off. I think, Mr. Kirk, I'd like to protest and ask for
reconsideration on that.

Here's the problem.

I have no way to get screen review, because I didnot bring a 104
keyboard with y connector, and I also didn't bring along an
external numeric keypad. While this machine, and many others like
it, will supply a pop up numeric, it will not supply the home,
end, page up, page down, etc. functions of the numeric. There's
no use for them and they're not available. Having speakup's
review mapped this way effectively means no screen review on a
portable, at least most of the portables I know.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG