acpi and the str/s3 state

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Jun 24 05:30:06 EDT 2002

It is not uncommon for t hese features not to work
as advertized. If the supply does not provide the required standby current
or the machine does not like the keyboard, or you don't set the wake up
events properly in the bios
or the black cat didn't walk under the neighbour's ladder;
your machine might not wake up.
I have seen power management both apm and acpi work sometimes but it seems to be an
area of pc design that still exhibits flakiness.
Aparently me and xp support power management better; but I've never had
a great deal of luck with it under linux but I've never tried hard either.
I have found that if you have some apm in the kernel and rtl8139 network cards; the card
goes to sleep on you and crashes the box.
For that reason apm gets turned off on any of my servers.
If people request apm or ACPI I enable it but say that their milage
may vary.

Check your wake-up options; other than that I have no idea.
Monitors use the most power so I usually set them to turn off after inactivity; the boxes stay
running. Keeps the temperature of the box more constant anyway.

Regards, Kerry.