acpi and the str/s3 state

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jun 23 19:00:55 EDT 2002

I've installed all the win98se drivers that were on my motherboard cd-rom.

I could try it out under gnu/linux, but there are a couple difficulties.
1. Just as I have a machine exclusively dedicated to running slackware, the box I'm writing about is exclusively dedicated to running windows because there are things I do need it for. This means that 100% of my hd is taken up by a fat32 partition. So, in order to try it out, I would need to split my hd, do a minimal install of slackware, compile a custom kernel for this board with acpi support, try it out, wipe slackware, and resize my hd again.
2. I don't think linux acpi is advanced enough for me to get comparible results, and this feature will not work under apm (it requires an acpi enabled os).
Greg