acpi and the str/s3 state

Scott Howell showell at lrxms.net
Sun Jun 23 18:31:43 EDT 2002

I ain't no expert, but I hear tell that if you leave windows in that
kinda state, things can get hosed. Windows apparently does not handle
power management matters as well as they'd like you to believe. Of
course to inject my two cents worth, why would you want to put the
machine in this state. Maybe a laptop, but a desktop box suffers no ill
affects from being left on 24 hours a day, but for fans having a little
shorter life. I think for all this just turn the machine off all
together.

Scott