RH 7.3 speaks during startup messages, but not at prompt or beyond

Ed Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
Sun Jun 23 16:18:39 EDT 2002

Hi there, when you installed rh 7.3 did you cinfigure x at all, if you
did your machine is defaulting to run level 5 which is x, if your friend
is using speakup you will want the machine to boot in text mode which is
run level 3.
You can fix this by editing: /etc/inittab
Regarding the speech not being able to keep up with the boot messages,
it's normal in many cases so just do a keypad enter to shut it up unless
you need to hear them as the box boots, if you don't and you want to
view them later simply concatinate them.
Hope this is helpful.

Ed Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net