Web browsing & e-mail

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Fri Jun 21 19:51:00 EDT 2002

Hi there,
If there isn't already a slackware package for it,
Get and compile mutt from http://www.mutt.org.
IMHO its way nicer than pine.
It does everything pine does (with the exception of reading news, and for that you want slrn)
as well as having a much nicer interface to use with speech, and the ability to do things like checking pop3 and imap accounts,
and built in support for encryption using pgp or gnupg.
Once you try it, you won't go back.
Regards
Aaron
On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:59:36PM -0400, Deedra Waters wrote:
> Pine, I don't think will receive mail, though it does send. You can use
> fetchmail to get your mail from the pop-servers.
>
> As for converting address books, I don't know.
> For web browsing I've stuck to lynx. It's limitted, and it doesn't work
> for everything, but as far as I know it's probably the best thing to use.
>
> There are a few ways to make pine work better with speakup, but
> unfortunately I don't remember what to change in the configuration to do
> that
>

> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Ann wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Well, my Slackware Linux is  working, and now all I need to do is to set up
> > things like e-mail, and my web browsing. Aside from Lynx, which I am
> > somewhat familiar with, are there other browser choices that work well with
> > the web and with speakup?
> >
> > Also, I will be using Pine for my  e-mail, but i understand that  Pine
> > doesn't always work well with Pop3 accounts, and I have several Pop3
> > accounts. Is this true, and what is the easiest program I can use to
> > retrieve my e-mail so that Pine can read it? Can Pine be used with several
> > different accounts to send and receive mail? And, unfortunately, all my
> > addresses are in my Outlook Express address book. Is there  a relatively
> > painless way to get these addresses in to Pine's address book? (I have a
> > feeling I know the answer to that question <gulp>)
> >
> > And, are there any tips and/or tricks to  optimizing how well Pine works
> > with speakup?
> >
> > ok, the  end of the endless questions for  now ... but *just* for now. LOL!
> >
> > ~Ann

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |