Running a command in background?

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Tue Jun 18 09:59:03 EDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Steve Holmes wrote:

> Further thing, Teddy, if you want to be able  to followup and see the
> output of this job later on, you can do something like this; just
> substitute command with the command-line and options of your choosing.
> command >outfile 2>&1 &
> the >outfile redirects all output to the file, outfile and the 2>&1
> forces both stdout and stderr to be captured; the & forces the command
> into background as has been previously mentioned.
>
> If you don't redirect the output this way, you will loos access to any
> output the command has to offer when you logout.

Steve, one of the things that nohup does is creates a file, by default
called nohup.out, which contains any output of the command you're using,
much less hasle imho, I like nohup for those long jobs, if memory serves
it take both stanard out and standard error, so you won't loose a thing.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808