Running a command in background?

Ari Moisio armoi at sci.fi
Tue Jun 18 03:38:40 EDT 2002

Hi!

Octavian Rasnita 17.06.02:

>I want to log on Linux on a remote computer, to run a command that takes a
>long times until it finishes, and I want to automaticly log off and let the
>command running in background.

  You can also use screen, a terminal multiplexer.

  When you login, start screen first and then than indexin application.
After that you can detach from that session (^A d) and logof. When you
later login again you can resume same session with screen -r -command.

  In addition if you define screen to detach when hangup open sessions
are no interrupted if connection is lost for reason or another.

HTH

--
Mr. Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 5, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
ari.moisio at iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/arimo PGP-keyID: 0x3FAF0F05