Running a command in background?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Mon Jun 17 23:18:39 EDT 2002

do it like this.
nohup commandname options &
so if to rebuild your index you had to do "rebuild -i" it would become
nohup rebuild -i &
The nohup stops the command being killed at logout, and the & sign means run in background.
Regards
Aaron
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 10:59:43AM +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to log on Linux on a remote computer, to run a command that takes a
> long times until it finishes, and I want to automaticly log off and let the
> command running in background.
>
> Please tell me what should I do?
>
> I understand that if I use the first command then a ; then the logout
> command they are both executed, but I want to be sure that the first command
> is not stopped after I close the connection.
>
> I need this for indexing a search engine.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Teddy,
> orasnita at home.ro

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |