newby sound question

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Jun 16 17:35:04 EDT 2002

OK, this is helpful.

Did you say also that you installed ALSA somehow? Did you use the
ALSA rpms to do that?

I ask because the sndconfig script provided by Red Hat configures
for OSS and not for ALSA.

Still, I would do the following:

Try playing a sound. Do:

locate .wav

which will find whatever wav files are on your hard disk. Select
one and do:

play [filename]

If you hear sound, you know that either OSS or ALSA are working.

If you hear nothing, or if it's too loud, or not loud enough, do:

aumix -q |more 2>&1

This will show current sound configuration parameters like
volume. Examine the output. Is volume reasonably high? If not,
adjust as needed. There are aumix commands to use.

By the way, the "|more 2>&1" part keeps the report from scrolling
off screen. You probably need it, but you may not need it
depending on your display characteristics.

Once you have the settings as you like them, save them. You will
see the commands for saving to a file, and the command for

aumix -h |more 2>&1

Let's go that far before talking about ALSA specifics.