What made sendmail do this?

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sun Jun 16 17:00:52 EDT 2002

Hi Adam,

Hmmm.  Though you do mention being able to use your ISP's IMAP and SMTP
servers with Pine, it does otherwise seem that you have yourself a DNS
issue.  Try checking your /etc/resolv.conf file, and checking with your ISP
to confirm that the name servers it indicates are still valid.  If those
have changed, it could result in trouble; change your resolv.conf as
directed by your ISP.

Thanks.

At 06:50 PM 6/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>I've been using a combination of Fetchmail and Sendmail to send and
>receive email with no problems every since I first started using Linux.
>Today, however, something weird happened that has never happened to me
>before.  Sendmail suddenly started rejecting all incoming email with no
>explanation.  It started saying that the domain does not resolve.  For
>example:
>  Jun 15 17:23:15 homerun sendmail[1373]: g5FMNFS01373:
>from=<speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca>, size=3406, class=0, nrcpts=0,
>proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=myrow at localhost [127.0.0.1] Jun 15 17:23:16
>homerun sendmail[1374]: g5FMNGS01374: ruleset=check_mail,
>arg1=<speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca>, relay=myrow at localhost [127.0.0.1],
>reject=451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address speakup-admin at braille.uwo.ca
>does not resolve
>It may have caused Fetchmail to delete some messages, but not all of them.
>Anybody know what could have caused this?  I don't remember changing
>anything.  For now, I have Pine using my ISP's Imap server and SMTP server
>directly, but this is slow over a dial up which is why I have always used
>Fetchmail and Sendmail.  Any suggestions welcome.

Best regards,
Darrell Shandrow
Access technology consulting / network and UNIX         systems administration.
CompTIA A+      Certified Service Technician!