Information Request

Igor Gueths igueths at attbi.com
Fri Jun 7 18:32:05 EDT 2002

Hi Rob. Let me try to answer some of your questions. As to why Speakup
doesn't support software synths, its bc it just wouldn't be viable for the
time being. The main problem is that sound drivers and other drivers for
such devices as usb port hubs don't load until the filesystems have been
mounted. This is particularly a problem for a user who wants or needs to
see all of the hardware boot messages. They wouldn't be able to read them.
Second, if they got a kernel panic for whatever reason i.e., bad root fs,
or other type of misconfiguration, the user would never know about it if
they were using a software sollution. In terms of GPL options for screen
readers for Windows. There are none as far as I know. There is of course
the freedom box, which may be a viable sollution in your case. If you want
to stay out of the realm of micro$, Linux is perhaps a good possibility.
There are many good mail readers such as Pine Elm etc. You probably know
this already bc you're running Slackware? You can write me privately at
igueths at attbi.com if you have any further questions.

Gates go to hell, your OS is waiting for you there!