Question regarding talking redhat install.

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Fri Jun 7 00:07:14 EDT 2002

The way I ended up doing it was to use the standard redhat cds, then to ftp the kernel with speakup pach once my new redhat system was up.
For my RHCE exam I'll have the kernel burnt to cdr, so all I have to do is wack in the cdr once the system boots, install the kernel, and reboot.
That way I didn't have to download any of the modified disks.
Just the speakup floppy to start the install.
I had no major dramas with this approach and now have a nicely working system.
I've also decided that the next install is going to be done by using fdisk to do the partitioning then just applying the mount points with disk druid,
owing to the fact that disk druid's interface is well... cumbersome to say the least with speech.
I know its fairly well documented but i still had troubles with things like not being able to make a partition use the maximum available space instead of manually entering a value and the like.
Oh well, I'm sure I'll get better at it astime goes on.
Regards
Aaron
On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 02:35:30PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Buddy:
>
> This is not correct for the Speakup Modofied Red Hat
> Distribution. Three CD ROM images are required for the
> installation.
>
> PS: You can certainly download only a floppy boot image in
> order to use the stock Red Hat CD ROM set that you can buy from
> Red Hat or at many computer stores. hOWEVER, THERE ARE ISSUES
> WITH THIS APPROACH WHICH OUR howto HAS BEGUN ADDRESSING. tHE
> NEXT REVISION OF THE howto WILL ATTEMPT TO CLARIFY THIS
> APPROACH. wE ARE MOST CERTAINLY AWARE THAT THREE cder IMAGES IS
> BURDENSOME TO MANY PEOPLE, AND WE'RE WORKING TO MAKE OUR howto
> EXPLAIN THIS PROCESS AS WELL AS IT EXPLAINS INSTALLING FROM THE
> IMAGES ON THE sPEAKUP WEB SITE.
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Buddy Brannan
> wrote:
>
> > You should only need the first CD.
> >
> > Alternatively, you should be able to download a boot disk (floppy)
> > image......quite a lot less bandwidth :)
> >

> --
>
> 				Janina Sajka, Director
> 				Technology Research and Development
> 				Governmental Relations Group
> 				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
>
> Email: janina at afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175
>
> Chair, Accessibility SIG
> Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
> http://www.openebook.org

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |