mac address

Ari Moisio armoi at sci.fi
Thu Jun 6 03:27:05 EDT 2002

Hi!

Gregory Nowak 05.06.02:

>The hwadr is supposed to be the MAC address, right? Why are ifconfig
>and arp reporting different hardware addresses? How do I find out my
>nic's real mac address?

  Arp will tell you hw addresses of other computers in same network. It
is  used when sendin ethernet frames to other computer; in ethernet
there is no ip addresses, only hardware or MAC addresses.

   YOu can find find than address by ifconfig or grepping 'eth' from
dmesg:
dmesg | grep eth

HTH

--
Mr. Ari Moisio, Niittykatu 5, 41160 Tikkakoski, +358-40-5055239
ari.moisio at iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/arimo PGP-keyID: 0x3FAF0F05