Amazingly dumb remark about Linux (fwd)

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Jun 6 01:23:20 EDT 2002

The methods mentioned below may be fun and trialsum but very
inefficient and often very costly! You should really learn to
appreciate learning from documentation and man pages.  After some
practice, you can learn to skim the docs and read the important stuff
like basic starting, and necessary.  Look for defaults and hope they
are what you want.  The reading might be long and often boring at
first but after some reading, play with it and then feel free to ask
more questions after you know a bit more about the particular command
you're trying.  The linux HOWTO's are also a very valuable source.
Frankly, I would never gotten my linux stuff going independently many
years ago without having read those things.  Just as important as
reading docs is getting in there and hack around a bit.; practice what
you just learned.  Yes, some docs may require reading several times
before fully comprehending them; then after that, it becomes a
valuable reference when you forget that extra option you need once in
a blue moon.  I had to read the CD-Writing HOWTO several times before
I really caught on to the process.  I'd sure hate to try burning CD's
by trial and error.