Painless and Painful

jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov jwantz at hpcc2.hpcc.noaa.gov
Wed Jun 5 11:56:43 EDT 2002

Hi,
Well, I just as of a few minutes ago completed an install of Redhat 7.3 on
my machine here at work using the upgrade option.  It was very
painless--all I did was hit enter after the install and it came up talking
with absolutely no intervention on my part.  After an iconfig command and
a couple of route commands I had Internet connectivity.  Based on this I
would say that Redhat has really improved their upgrade procedure.

Now, for the painful part.  On my machine at home with exactly the same
CD's I am now getting a failure in some script in /usr/src.  Bill, if you
are reading this, I'm sorry I don't have the specifics--it's at home.  It
definitely occurs after the 2nd stage initialization problem that was
caused by the wrong boot.img, but its still early in the process.  I'm
tempted to put Linux on my WINDOWS machine and make it a dual boot system
so I'm not down for long.  I half suspect CD ROM problems on my old Linux
machine.

     Jim Wantz WB0TFK