dynamic dns services

Ed Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
Sat Jun 1 23:57:33 EDT 2002

Hi list.
As some of you may know last week-end I downed my Linux system for most of
Saturday.
On Friday evening I went to www.dhs.org to update the host record for the
Linux system anomaly.2y.net and ran into problems, I received the message
that three updates in 15 minutes would get my account or something like
that.
This is fine I understand the principal behind dhs having such a policy as
it prevents abusive use of their limitted resources.
However, in my case I had almost never done any updating as I have an
almost static dynamic ip address if you know what I mean.
So, after I brought my system back up I created myself an account with
cjb.net's dynamic dns service and since I started using it a week ago I
have been pleased.
I am wondering what the experiences of others have been who have used
these services and I am wondering if there is a consensus among list
members if one service is better than another for example.
I know that this message is not directly related to Speakup and or Linux
so I'd encourage anyone who wishes to reply to write to me directly as
opposed to cluttering up the list with this thread.
Thanks folks and hope everyone enjoys what remains of the week-end.
Ed Barnes
ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net or ebarnes1 at warp.nfld.net