Printing cheques under Linux

Shane Wegner shane at cm.nu
Wed Jul 31 21:34:45 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I am hoping someone has either done this or knows enough
about PostScript to give me a pointer or two.  I am trying
to print or fill in cheques under Linux using a standard
laser printer.  What I'm planning to do is get the exact
x/y coordinates at which payee, date, amount, memo etc.
information needs to be written.  I then intend to write a
script which takes said information and cranks out an
appropriate file I can send to the printer.

I am having a problem determining an appropriate image
format or markup language by which I could say something
like
Print $50.00 at this exact point.  I believe Postscript can
do it but the postscript spec is over 600 pages, a bit of a
read for such a simple project.

It looks like gnucash does exactly this but it being for
X-Windows makes it inaccessible with speech.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate
hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,
Shane