fwd: [braillenote] Braille TTY Announcement]

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Jul 29 10:14:23 EDT 2002

Hi all.

I thought some people may be interested in the below.
Greg

----- Forwarded message from "Larry L. Lewis, Jr." <l_lewis at ameritech.net> -----

From: "Larry L. Lewis, Jr." <l_lewis at ameritech.net>
To: "BrailleNote discussion list" <braillenote at lyris.pulsedata.co.nz>
Subject: [braillenote] Braille TTY Announcement
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:24:16 -0400

Hello,

For you Linux users, please find below an announcement of the release of the
latest version of Braille TTY which has a Driver for the BrailleNote to act
as a Braille display with this application.
The announcement follows:

> [...]
> site at:
>
>     http://mielke.cc/brltty/
>
> A lot has taken place since the last officially stable minor release,
> 2.98, about a year ago. Although you should check the ChangeLog for
> the details, here's a brief summary of some of them.
>
>   * Enhancements have been made to the Alva, BrailleLite, EuroBraille,
>     MiniBraille, Papenmeier, TSI, Vario(RBT), VideoBraille, and
>     VisioBraille braille display drivers.
>   * Drivers have been added for the BrailleNote, HandyTech, LogText,
>     and Voyager braille displays.
>   * Enhancements have been made to the ExternalSpeech, and GenericSay
>     speech synthesizer drivers.
>   * A driver has been added for IBM's ViaVoice software speech
>     synthesizer.
>   * The command line options and the configuration file directives
>     have been normalized.
>   * The preferences menu has been made more user-friendly.
>   * Options have been added to support invoking BRLTTY from
>     /etc/inittab.
>   * Alert tunes can now be played, in addition to the PC speaker, via
>     the soundcard, MIDI device, and FM (OPL3, AdLib) interfaces.
>   * If alert tunes are off, or if, for some reason, they can't be
>     played, critical events briefly display a short message on the
>     braille display.
>   * An in-line grade 2 English braille translator has been added.
>   * There's a new bootdisk paradigm which consumes less disk space.
>   * Parameters (of the form BRLTTY_...) can now be passed to BRLTTY at
>     boot time either via LILO's boot prompt or via its append
>     directive.
>   * The patch which enables BRLTTY to be used with the screen
>     application, rather than directly on the Linux console, has been
>     upgraded to support screen 3.9.11.
>   * The manual has been brought up-to-date.
>   * In addition to a tar file, BRLTTY can now be downloaded as an RPM
>     (RedHat Package Manager) file.
>
> Several braille display commands have been added (although some
> displays don't support all of them yet).
>
>   * Put the braille display back where it was before a cursor tracking
>     operation moved it unexpectedly.
>   * Begin a block which is to be appended to the current cut buffer.
>   * Perform a linear (rather than rectangular) cut.
>   * Display the value and highlighting of a specific character.
>   * Shift the left end of the braille display to a specific column
>     (great for reading columnar output).
>   * Go to the previous or next shell prompt.
>   * Mark (remember) the current position of the braille display by
>     associating it with a cursor routing key.
>   * Move the braille display back to a previously marked position.
>   * Switch to the previous or next virtual terminal.
>   * Enter interactive braille display command learn mode.
>
> As usual, we welcome any and all feedback regarding this latest
> release.
>
> --
> Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | I believe that the Bible is
Hell.
> http://familyradio.com
With Regards,
Larry L. Lewis, Jr.
Product Marketing Manager, BrailleNote Family
Pulse Data International Ltd.
955 Pembrook Road
Cleveland Heights, OH 44121
Phone:  216-381-8106