synth detection problems

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Thu Jul 25 23:48:07 EDT 2002

You really should give us more information;
what version of speakup? What boot disk? What kernel version?
What type of machine is this? Does the detect work if you power on the synth
and then the machine? does the detect work if you
specify both speakup_synth and speakup_ser?
for example:
linux speakup_synth=ltlk speakup_ser=0
looks for a bns on com1.
A bug report that says "the synth detect doesn't work" is no use to anyone;
it doesn't work for me either in certain circumstances; for example if my
transport was allready powered on and had been in linux first;
but I am not r unning latest cvs so I have not worried too much.
Obviously the detect does work for a lot of folks; so we need to try find out
what difference is in your hardware; what versions you are tr ying and the like.
In older speakup synth detect did depend on machine speed.
Too fast or too slow a box and the detect would fail.
For example the transport was detected fine on the k6-2/500 but
not the 486dx4/100 or the Duron 750.
This problem was fixed when I upgraded to speakup 1.0.

Regards, Kerry.