General question about Linux

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Sat Jul 20 22:22:32 EDT 2002

Actually, the term "folder" first appeared on the Macintosh and later
showed up on the Apple IIGS which tried unsuccessfully to bridge the gap
between the Apple II line and the Macintosh line.  The term "desktop" also
has its origins before Windows, though I'm not sure how far back it goes.
I first heard it with Appleworks on the Apple IIe.  Appleworks was a
combined word processor, database, and spreadsheet and may have been one
of the first.  In fact, most terms that Windows throws around came from
the Mac, and of course, the GUI came from Xerox originally.  Windows has
the Recycle Bin, Apple had the Trash icon.  Windows associates extensions
with programs and calls them file types, and Apple actually set special
flags in the filesystem to indicate file types, so extensions didn't
matter.  The list goes on and on.  Of course, this has nothing to do with
Linux nor Speakup, so this is all I will say on this matter.