Changing default editor in mutt

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Jul 16 17:25:04 EDT 2002

Mutt honors the EDITOR environment variable,
So if you want your default editor to be say, vi, then you would do
export EDITOR=vi
export VISUAL=vi
the visual is for some older programs which check that variable before they check editor (short for visual editor).
You can of course add those two lines to your .bash_profile.
(obviously if you're using some derivitive of csh instead of bash, you'd use setenv instead of export.)
Note that in the above, EDITOR and VISUAL are in upper case, the rest is lower.
That should get mutt using your favorite editor (oh, you could specify a pathname after the = sign if you need to).
Regards
Aaron
On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 10:45:37AM -0400, Alex Snow wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How can one change the default editor in mutt?
> -------------------------------
> Alex Snow
> Email: alex_snow at gmx.net
> BBS: telnet://bbs1.dyndns.org
> web: http://web.alex-snow.dhs.org
> The Computer Repair Guy:
> If It Ain't Broke, I'll mess With It Till It Is!

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |