amixer with sblive value

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Mon Jul 15 17:18:19 EDT 2002

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Edward L. Barnes wrote:

> Hey folks.
> Firstly, for anyone who subscribes to both blinux-newbie and speakup,
> sorry for the cross-posting to both lists and any related inconvenience.
> Secondly, a big Thank you to Bill Acker for his assisting me to get the
> alsa drivers, libs, and utilities installed and with editing my
> /etc/modules.conf last night.
> After I finished speaking to Bill last night I began the task of unmuting
> the various features of my sound card as needed.
> I looked at man amixer and did a search or two via the internet to find
> out what the best settings would be to use for my particular card and to
> find the names of the relevant options so I could pass the correct command
> line sequences to amixer and I found a bit of stuff and fooled around
> some, however; I wasn't overly successful. I am curious if there are any
> sblive owners on either of these lists who would be so kind  as to give me
> some pointers in regard to the settings they use and find most effective
> along with how to pass them to amixer and save them. As I said to Bill
> last night on the phone I am the sort of person who likes to read and
> understand why I am doing something and to a point the theory behind what
> I'm doing as well, so I find everything I've done with Alsa particularly
> challenging as the docs are confusing in my opinion and for that matter
> there isn't that muchy good documentation available anyway in my humble
> opinion.

Hi.
Well, if you just type amixer, you may want to output to a file, it'll
tell you all controls available to your card, and for the sblive it's a
lot, then you can use amixer set <control> <value set> where value set can
be a number from 0 to the max allowed, or a number followed by the percent
sign, for setting volume, unmute is self-explanitory and record allows
capture of the particular input.

For example, you might want a setting like:
amixer set Mic 100% mute record

You don't want the mic unmuted as you will get feedback as you will here
the mike's input in your speakers.

Your other alternative is to look at alsamixer.  It's a bit confusing, but
is workable to a fashion with some patience.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808