Compiling

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Sun Jul 14 01:01:55 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've compiled the new links that supports Javascript and it seems to work
> fine.
> Well, I have a question about compiling, or better said, about Linux in
> general.
>
> I've seen that I should give the command ./configure but I don't understand
> where is that configure file.
>
> Can you tell me?
>
> It is not in the current directory. There is no configure directory in the
> current one.
> And there is no configure file or directory in the root directory either.

./ before any command means in the current working directory, as this is
often not in the default path.
In the case you mention, there is usually a script called configure in the
top-level directory of whatever package you are trying to compile, but
reading the file INSTALL (note, it's all in capitals), will give you all
the steps you need, both a quick start and more in depth, in case you have
problems or want a slightly non-standard compile.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808