Speakup Modified RH, all fixed.

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Jul 6 13:02:20 EDT 2002

It all depends on the size of your cache. we used to run
8gig of cache with 384 megs of ram squid usage
at 300megs.
Smaller caches can be run with a lot less. I run a gig of cache in 32 to 48
megs of ram; the more ram the better but you only loose
performance if you either swap to much or do not hae enough ram for in
transit objects.
The latest squid faq has a good breakdown of memory usage; the store entries take
up ram so the more objects your cache has; the more ram
used by data structures.
100  meg of cache (you still get hits out of this)
can run in   8 megs of ram.
Basically try it and see; if you get too many page faults with physical i/o
you are swapping too much and must reduce cache_mem
in squid.conf; reduce the size of the cache or buy more ram.

Regards, Kerry.

--
Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au
ICQ: 8226547 msn: kerry at gotss.net Yahoo: kerryhoath at yahoo.com.au