Jaws under Linux?

JP Schnapper-Casteras jp_sc at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 15:11:03 EDT 2002

--- Shaun Oliver <shaun_oliver at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Woe! slow down there ann.
> What he's wondering is, will jfw work on something like vmware.
> imho, I don't think so.

Yup, thanks for the clarification.

> For starters, there's the issue of direct x.  I don't think that direct x
> is even handled at all in a windows emulator.  I'll stand to be corrected
> as always.
>  there's also the issue of msaa and whether or not it will work on
> something like vmware.
> I can see his point but I also see the other side of the coin having
> started from scratch with linux.
> but I take your point too.
> why pay through the nose for a crappy piece of software that gets major
> changes about once every whenever they can think of something they want to
> add.

I saw it primarily as a means of transition.  A lot of people have significant Windows-only apps
or documents, etc. in a Windows-only format and getting to a Linux environment with Linux formats
is not going to happen overnight.  It's important that we acknowledge that the transition takes
time so that:

1) We don't make people get frustrated when the transition period takes more than a day.
2) People don't format their Windows partition, lose access to legacy applications / data and get
really frustrated and mad (at Linux and the people who gave them advice, both of which I have seen
happen).

So all in all, I'm not suggesting we try to lure people over to Linux and let them continue to
"pay through the nose for a crappy piece of software that gets major changes about once every
whenever" as you put it Shaun.  I've always stood against that (see
http://ocularis.sourceforge.net/potential.php ).  I'm trying to look at a means of helping that
transition and to answer the (good) question of a Assitive Technology Practitioner at RESNA.

I hope that clarifies my question.

Best,

--JP

=====