manderine linux

Thomas D. Ward slingshooter at valkyrie.net
Wed Jul 3 01:18:31 EDT 2002

Hi, Jared. You mean Mandrake Linux don't you?I've never heard of a linux called Mandarine, but I do use a distribution called Mandrake. I am currently using version 8.2.

As for differences between Mandrake and Red Hat they are quite different. Mandrake uses an installer called drakx which in many ways is much simpilar to use, but it is dificult to use with speakup.I'm looking at modifying drakx to allow me to swop the us keyboard for the speakup one, and then the installer would work ok.
Any Mandrake has to modes of installing one called recommended which means Mandrake makes all the choices for you, or custom which is for the die hard Linux fan who wants to setup x, network, packages, and everything from scratch.
Red Hat on the other hand still requires you to know a little more about the install, and if you are using a screen reader like speakup you will do a custom anyway to make sure you get all the speech friendly packages.
Distributions such as Mandrake and Red Hat they recommended in Mandrake orthe work station in Red Hat are pore choices, because the install choices almost always choose all the graphical x packages, and leave text based tools on the rom.
Of course the Mandrake recommended choice will allow you to hit the select all button which installs everything which I usually do to make sure I am not missing something.
There is a choice in Red Hat similar to that at the vary bottom of the custom apps list called everything. Press the space bar, and a little star will appear, and you will have everything graphical and text based stuff.