problem with speakup and artic synth?

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Jul 2 05:32:14 EDT 2002

Hi there,
is this me or is this a speakup bug?
I'm running redhat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-4spk on
a pentium IV 1.5ghz with matrox 16mb video, and an artic transport synthesizer.
I'm undertaking the RHCE at present, so my instructor did the RedHat install,
its a standard "everything" install.
All I've done to reproduce this problem is install the speakup rpm and use loadkeys to load the speakup keymap.
oh, and I echo "8" to /proc/speakup/rate
(If I've missed a step I'd like to know).
When using ls, man, etc, if a string starts with a dash (-),
speakup often fails to read it.
For example, do an ls of one file.
What I hear starts with 1, then the date, file size, etc.
(ie, the permissions are completely missing).
This doesn't happen with directories as the dash is replaced with a d.
If reading a man page with options, the option isn't read, only the text describing what it does.
Of course, when reviewing the screen everything reads as it should.
What am I missing?
Will upping the punctuation level help?
Any help much appreciated, this problem is quite frustrating.
Regards
Aaron

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |