better configuration

Patrick Turnage patrickt at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jul 1 21:27:08 EDT 2002

Let me explain a little about my setup here.
I have a p4, 1.7ghz with 256M ram and a 40 GB drive.
I have windows xp home preinstalled, hard drive is partitioned as ntfs5,
and is one big partition.
I did not want to redo everything and I did not know if I just could rip
apart a ntfs5 partition with partition magic with out the ntfs5 fs
complaining.
So here is what I did, I went to
http://www.vmware.com and grabbed the latest version of vmware workstation
3.1 for windows.
I have installed Debian woody Linux inside that virtual machine and am
using a braille N speak as my synthesizer.
Sometimes the speech seems really sluggish, is there a good way to enter
speech box mode? What should my handshaking be set to?
I think the vmware solution is pretty cool as I can work on apache and just
press alt control enter and check on the status in my ie window..
I have Linux doing nat for my actual win xp box and my 2k pro box.. it
works good. I just put the adapter in vmware in to bridged mode and give it
my static dsl address and use ip_aliasing to give a private address and
assign private addresses to my windows xp and 2k box..

I was wondering if anyone has this particular setup or has ever played with
it at all.. and maybe could offer me some pointers.
thanks,
Patrick
PS. What is so good about slackware then since it has no way to manage
packages or remotely download needed dependencies or anything..

        -------------------------
Patrick Turnage
e-mail:pturnage at tampabay.rr.com
Telephone: (850) 459-7717