question about /proc/speakup

Ryan Mann rmann at rmisp.net
Mon Jul 1 00:07:42 EDT 2002

I heard that some speech synthesizers use hexadecimal values instead of
regular numbers for parameters such as pitch and rate.  What does
/proc/speakup do with these parameters.  Let's say I had one of these
synthesizers and I read /proc/speakup/rate.  Would this show the hex value
or does Speakup's proc interface convert these parameters to regular
numbers?  Also, if I did something like echo 9 > /proc/speakup/rate would
Speakup's proc interface convert ithe "9" to the hex value?  I'm asking
because if this isn't the case, I have to make changes in my Speakupcfg
and Speakupctl programs in order for them to be used with those type of
synthesizers.
Thanks.

--

Ryan