Redhat 7.2 and Speakup

TALMAGE at SOMTEL.COM TALMAGE at SOMTEL.COM
Thu Jan 31 23:12:54 EST 2002

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

For those interested in the lessons of the school of hard knocks, and the
problems we can cause ourselves the solution was:
Don't boot your system from a serial terminal and expect speech to work on
the actual linux box.
I was using Grub's serial terminal feature to load and boot my kernel to
test it and that was a bad thing.  I think I'll find when I go back and do
it again, for curiosity sake, I'll find that it wasn't Speakup that was
dead but instead my keyboard.
Thanks especially to Bill who answered the question I didn't even know I
had at the time.  When I finally loaded the kernel from my linux box's
keyboard it was the standard key map that was coming up, and his suggestion
fixed that problem.
As to why my LiteTalk wasn't working, I think it may be to old and
peculiar.  It has a ROM revision of 2.02 and that is the newest it is
capable of taking.  It has an AMD processor and was one of the last ones
MicroTalk put out before changing to an Intel processor.  No biggie though,
I just swapped with the Doubletalk LT I have on my kid's Windows box, and
all works fine now.

Dave Talmage