IBM VIA voice for Linux

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Jan 31 13:32:27 EST 2002

Hi, Charley:

Oh, it works pretty well, actually. In fact, I use it with emacspeak in
circumstances when I cannot use a hardware speech synthesizer easily, such
as in meetings and on Amtrak. I used it all day yesterday, as a matter of
fact.

There are issues with ViaVoice for linux, however. Among others, it only
works well with the OSS drivers, and not with ALSA. This is regretable and
probably eminently fixable, were we able to access the source (or get IBM
to simply fix it). But, getting them to fix it means knowing who to talk
to at IBM.

The larger issue, as I think I said, seems to be that IBM is releasing
product and update after product and update of ViaVoice for Windows, while
the linux products languish. I guess that is how it is when the source is
proprietary. Development is someone else's priority, and not the user's
option.