What I did on my summer holidays.

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Jan 28 12:53:06 EST 2002

There is a profound difference between recording digitally and the DAISY
standard. If you only record, from beginning to end, you're functionally
no different than the analog cassette. Instead, DAISY imposes hierarchical
structure onto the recording, using the SMIL protocol. That way, you can
"rewind" and "fast forward" to something meaningful, because it's
structural, unlike today's media which only "rewind" or "fast forward"
some number of inches of tape irrespective of the actual intellectual
contents.