What I did on my summer holidays.

Amanda Lee amanda at shellworld.net
Mon Jan 28 10:34:01 EST 2002

Wow you were the best possible case for receiving the sort of
accomodations that all of us should have and would really appreciate.

I had to accept Incomplete grades when I was in college because 1) no
textbook was available on recorded tape/forget about etext or braille;  2)
no human was calling for the "help wanted for readers" notices I had
placed on every campus bulletin board, etc.  3) I had nothing like an OCR
scanner/software for converting texts to some accessible form.

I know that if I could be attending college in the U.S. nowadays, that
there is much more that is available and accessible so we indeed have come
a loong! way and this is wonderful.

I commend the efforts of the Daisy Project and others.  We obviously still
have more to overcome such as .pdf issues and to obtain appropriate
cooperation from publishers and the like.
Still, we are so fortuneate to be around in this time to be able to avail
ourselves of what has evolved

One good example is how Oreilly Books is so cooperative with providing
their books to persons who are blind and free of charge.  Personally, I
would not mind paying the same price for books as my print-enabled
counterparts but this does open doors to information to persons who could
not afford these materials and who further cannot use a typical library
because all of those books are in print and not readily accessible.

Hang-in there Satik, access to information in an Accessible form is
improving.

Amanda Lee
Alexandria, VA