development questions

Chris Peterson capeterson at visi.com
Sat Jan 26 20:30:00 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk Reiser" <kirk at braille.uwo.ca>
To: <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: development questions

> Well, the best way to start is to install speakup into a kernel and
> start using it.  You can find out about the keymap by reading the

I'm waiting for my doubletalk pc to come so I can do that.  Btw, is there
any plan to write a driver for the doubletalk lt?

> keymap tutorial in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/speakup.  Basically

>The following is from that tutorial:
>keycode  72 = 0x0d0a
> altgr keycode 72 = 0x0d20
>#keycode  72 = KP_8
> alt     keycode  72 = Ascii_8
>
>Notice that the only thing which has changed on the first line is the
>function called when the key is struck.  It is a hexadecimal number
>identifying the function called in a look up table.  It is not a
>symbolic representation yet because that means we need to change the
>loadkeys program to understand our symbolic names.  We will do this in
>the future but for now it is more expedient to just use the table
>indices.  You will find a table at the bottom of this document
>listing the review functions and their corresponding hex lookups.

Okay, so where is that lookup table stored?  I can read the one at the botom
of the tutorial, but I want to know where this is actually stored so I can
understand how to add my own functions to it.  Perhaps I didn't phrase my
initial question well or I had to many questions in one message.

Thanks,
Chris