Mandrake 8.1 distro

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Jan 26 08:32:40 EST 2002

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Ron Marriage wrote:
> I have been told I can't do  make oldconfig, because
> mandrake uses a customized kernel and includes many options
> not found in a standard source kernel.
> If anyone knows differently about this, I'd appreciate
> knowing about it.

My understanding is that the customized kernel is the exact reason for
choosing make oldconfig.

As for the problem you are getting, I would guess that you built the
support for the root file system as a module. Problem is that the module
may not load before mounting the file system. I would start with a check
there. For troubleshooting you may want to build every file system
directly into the kernel. If it works, start dropping the ones you don't
need (or think you don't).

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Nowlan's Theory:
        He who hesitates is not only lost, but several miles from
        the next freeway exit.